What are the Surprising Benefits of Onion Hair Oil
Many, especially women, struggle to grow long, thick, and healthy hair. If you're one of these, you surely know how daunting this process can be! But do you know that onions in your kitchen can be helpful, especially if you get a topical onion oil?
Dealing with hair thinning or loss is very annoying, especially if you see the number of strands that fall out during shower alone; this might get you worried you're getting bald soon.
Even if you aren't dealing with hair loss, you might experience some obstacles while trying to grow that long healthy mane. A lot of factors can hinder the growth of healthy hair, including environment, genetics, harsh hair product and styling tools, or hard water.
The good news is there are many ways to reverse hair loss, both naturally and artificially. A great way to reverse hair loss and growth of a thick mane is by using Onion oil.
Onion is a vegetable belonging to the Allium plants family. Like other vegetables in this family, bulb onion has a pungent property and medicinal benefits.
There are different types of onions in terms of shape, flavor, color, and size. The most common types are white, yellow, and red onions. Their taste also varies depending on the season they've grown and the location they're planted.
Onions are rich in water, calories, carbohydrates, proteins, fiber, sugar, and fat.
The watery eyes that onions cause when chopping them and their pungent smell make them repulsive to many. But do you know these vegetables are stocked with thousands of medicinal effects like reducing the risk of cancer and promoting the growth of long healthy hair?
This article will explore the surprising benefits of onion oil on your hair, how to make it and how to use it!
Surprising Benefits of Onion Oil for Hair
Onion oil has proved to be one of the best ways to reverse hair loss and promote hair growth. Rich in nutrients like folate, vitamin B6, potassium, vitamin C, and other essential nutrients that promote the growth of a healthy mane.
The oil works as an antioxidant, anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that enhance scalp and hair health. Here are some fantastic benefits of using onion oil for hair:
Reduces Risk of Hair Thinning and Breakage:
Onions are highly rich in sulfur, a nutrient with many benefits to offer.
In onion oil, this nutrient facilitates the production of collagen, an essential hair protein that helps strengthen and thicken hair strands. This will, in turn, prevent unnecessary hair breakage and thinning, allowing you to grow your dream long and lustrous hair.
How to use onion oil for hair thinning and loss:
- Combine 2 tbsp of onion oil with a tbsp of castor oil
- Evenly massage the mixture into your scalp concentrating on the roots
- Leave it for 45 minutes
- Rinse with a warm wash, and use your shampoo to remove the pungent onion smell
Balances the pH Level of the Scalp and Hair:
Our hair is slightly acidic. As we all know, anything above 7 in the pH level is alkaline, while anything below 7 is acidic. The pH of our hair is about 5.3, while that of the scalp is about 5.5.
The use of harsh hair products can alter the pH level of the scalp and hair, making it more alkaline or more acidic. This can, in turn, cause hair problems. Applying onion oil to your hair can prevent this by balancing the natural pH levels, thereby giving you well-nourished and healthy hair.
How to use onion oil for balancing hair pH:
- Mix your onion oil with any essential or carrier oil (e.g., coconut, olive, or lavender oil)
- Apply it to your hair as a mask, and leave it overnight
- Wash your hair the next morning with an alcohol-free shampoo
Reduces Risk of Premature Greying
There are so many reasons you have white hair at an early age. It might be genetics, autoimmune disorders, thyroid problems, excess stress, deficiency in certain nutrients, or smoking.
Whatever the cause, you won't be so happy to have white strands while your mates are rocking an all-black silky mane. The solution to this problem is onion oil! It contains vital nutrients and minerals that prevent and reverse premature greying.
Onion oil is rich in catalase, an enzyme that, when activated, stimulates the darkening of hair and prevents premature greying.
How to use onion oil to prevent premature greying:
- Warm your pure onion oil and mix it with a teaspoon of lemon juice
- Massage the mixture into your scalp
- Cover with a shower cap for 45 minutes and wash with lukewarm water afterward.
For Treating Dandruff
The most daunting part is that dandruff can lead to severe hair problems like hair fall and thinning. But do you know that you can simply get rid of dandruff by using onion oil?
Being very rich in antiseptic and antibacterial properties, onion oil can effectively ward off dandruff and help you regain a healthy, nourished scalp.
The antibacterial properties also help in strengthening hair strands and making them thicker.
How to use onion oil to treat dandruff:
- Combine onion oil with ginger juice and mix thoroughly
- Massage your hair to treat dandruff and scalp infections
As a Natural Conditioner:
Conditioner is mostly applied after using shampoo. But do you know you can prevent your shampoo from stripping off your scalp moisture and nourishment?
Red onion oil can be massaged deeply into the hair as a conditioner for minutes before using a shampoo. This will reverse dry and frazzled hair while keeping your scalp moisturized.
How to use onion oil as a natural conditioner:
- Warm your onion oil and allow it to cool
- Massage it into your hair strands and scalp and cover with a towel
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and apply a conditioner.
How to Extract Onion Oil at Home
There are many brands producing onion oil and marketing it online and in shops. However, if you're not willing to buy online or from grocery stores, then you'll have to make your onion oil at home.
Here's a simple DIY onion oil:
- Get 3 or 4 fresh bulb onions (it's advisable to make a small amount to see how the oil turns and how it affects your hair)
- Chop the onions and blend them into a smooth paste
- Keep the paste aside and let it settle
- Add a carrier oil (e.g, coconut oil) into a pan and warm it on a low flame until the oil starts to boil
- Add your onion paste into the oil and mix thoroughly for two to three minutes
- Off your heat and allow the concoction to cool
- Strain the oil and store it in an airtight container
- The oil can last for up to 2 years, but it's only effective on your hair for six months.
There are other ways to make your onion oil better and more nutritious. Here's a magic recipe of onion oil together with other hair growth ingredients:
Things you need:
- Two big onions
- 15 - 20 fenugreek seeds
- 15 cloves of garlic
- 20 curry leaves
- 500g of coconut oil
- Slice your bulb onion and add all the ingredients into your pan
- Add your 500 grams of coconut oil into the pot and allow it to boil until the onion turns into a golden brown color.
- Turn off your heat and wait for the mixture to cool down
- Strain the concoction into a glass container
- Your onion oil is ready for use as a hair mask or natural conditioner.
How the Ingredients of Onion Oil Promote Hair Growth
You might be wondering what's the use of the ingredients that are used in making onion oil. Well, all these ingredients help either in reversing hair loss, nourishing the scalp, or promoting hair growth. Below are their benefits:
- Coconut oil: is regarded as one of the best oils to keep your hair well-nourished with proteins. The oil contains a high amount of lauric acid, which makes it easily absorbable into the hair shafts. It also replenishes hair strands, nourishes the scalp, and adds luster to your hair.
- Fenugreek Seed: this plant is rich in compounds that interact with DHT and slows down its ability to attach to your scalp. Studies have also related the seeds to increase hair thickness and growth.
- Garlic: it is highly rich in antibacterial properties that combat bacteria and other microorganisms that damage the scalp and cause hair breakage and thinning. The plant is also rich in vitamin c, which is essential for the growth of healthy hair. Garlic also stimulates the production of collagen, an essential hair growth nutrient.
- Curry leaves: Also known as Kadi Patta, they're highly rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. The antioxidants, together with Vitamin B, can stimulate the production of melanin in the hair, thereby reducing the risk of premature aging. The nutrients in curry leaves also help in removing dead hair follicles and preventing hair thinning.
These ingredients, together with onions, provide your hair with the nutrients and minerals that nourish and improve hair growth
How to Use Onion Oil for Hair Growth
There are several ways to use onion oil to improve hair growth and reverse hair loss. Here are some practical ways:
- Pure some pure onion oil into your palms and rub it
- Massage the oil into your hair and scalp, concentrating on the roots
- Repeat this process for 20 minutes, massaging your scalp with gentle pressure.
- Leave the oil on your hair for three hours
- Wash with a mild sulfate-free shampoo and condition your hair
- Do this process twice a week for a fantastic result.
Note: Don't use your fingernails to massage your scalp; use your fingertips gently, making sure the oil penetrates deep into your hair follicles.
Hot Onion Oil for Hair Treatment:
- Mix your onion oil with almond or lavender oil.
- Warm the oil at a medium temperature and rub it gently into your scalp and your hair shafts
- Cover your head with a shower cap, and leave the mask overnight
- Wash your hair with an alcohol-free shampoo and use a mild conditioner
Onion Oil for Hair Mask
- Mix onion oil with an essential oil like Olive oil for deep natural conditioning that will thicken and volumize your hair
- Combine onion oil with 4 tbsp of ginger juice and apply as a conditioner before washing your hair. This mixture wards off scalp infections and promotes hair growth
- Mix onion oil with two egg yolks to make a protein-rich hair mask that helps treat dry, frazzled, and rough hair.
Important Things to Remember when Using Onion Oil for Hair:
Onion oil is an effective way to treat hair loss and boost hair growth. You must consider adding onion oil into your daily hair care routine, but you must keep these things in mind:Onion has a characteristic pungent smell that's disliked by many. If you're one of those that are sensitive to that smell, add a few drops of essential or carrier oil into your onion oil whenever you're using it.
- Avoid using onion oil more than twice a week as excess usage can cause inflammation.
- Always do a patch test before applying the oil to your scalp, as it can sometimes cause an allergy.
- Avoid leaving the oil for a long time on your hair, especially if you've sensitive skin. Wash it off after 2 to 3 hours of application.
- Onions are known to cause watery eyeless and also the oil. Make sure you're putting a small amount of the oil, and cease using it if it's causing you to tear up frequently
Onion oil is highly rich in antioxidants that help reverse and prevent premature aging. Its antimicrobial properties help ward off itchiness, dandruff, and other scalp infection.
However, you should avoid using too much onion oil as it can lead to scalp irritation and dryness.