The Unexpected Benefits Of Olive Oil For Hair
You can use it for cooking, degreasing, paint removal and of course olive oil for hair works wonders. It is a natural powerhouse when it comes to hair, skin and beauty applications. Its rich, moisturizing properties make it ideal for use on your hair. Keeping a bottle of olive oil in your beauty cabinet can help keep your hair looking healthy, shiny and strong. Whether you use it as a regular conditioner, a hot oil treatment or as a styling product, your hair can undoubtedly benefit from this incredible kitchen staple. In order for your hair care regimen to be beneficial and give you the long healthy tresses you desire, you may need help. In addition to using olive oil for hair you should consider you diet as well, did you know that what you consume on the inside of your body has a great effect on what the outside looks like?
Why Use Olive Oil for Hair?
Olive oil is extracted from the crop of the olive tree, native to the Mediterranean basin. Women have been using olive oil for centuries as a natural medicine and beauty product. It has a long history of being used as a home remedy for skincare and hair care. Olive oil is full of vitamins, minerals and proteins that make it an essential beauty solution. It is naturally packed with anti-aging antioxidants and hydrating squalene, making it great for restoring health and luster. Olive oil is also rich in vitamins A and E, which protect the keratin in hair and help to lock in moisture. Because of all of its nutrients, olive oil is not likely to cause an allergic reaction, making it ideal for use on sensitive skin and hair. But olive oil alone is not enough. You should also be mindful of the types of products that you use. Hairfinity Hair Vitamins are a great benefit because they work to improve your hair’s manageability and appearance. Hairfinity will help hair grow from the inside as olive oil works to strengthen it on the outside.
Benefits of Olive Oil for Hair
- Dandruff: Olive oil is a great remedy for dandruff as it is a natural moisturizer. The olive oil can be directly massaged onto the scalp to prevent dryness or you can try using a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice that works great to treat dandruff. The lemon juice helps to loosen the dry, flaky skin caused by dandruff while the olive oil works to moisturize the new, exfoliated layer of skin. Mix equal parts olive oil, lemon juice and water – a few tablespoons of each should be enough. Massage the mixture into your damp scalp; leave on for 20 minutes, then rinse and shampoo. This treatment should be done no more than once every 2 weeks as using it more often may dry out your hair.
- Split ends: In the dry winter months, when hair is more prone to breakage, split ends and flyaways can make your hair look unhealthy and unkempt. Using olive oil can help smooth away those problems. It adds weight and moisture to the hair, and is great as a quick fix. Put a few drops of olive oil on your fingers and run them through your hair to tame frizz and split ends.
- Manageability: When hair is dry and undernourished, it can be difficult to style. Using olive oil as a hot oil treatment will bring life back to your parched strands. Olive oil is one of the top emollients that can penetrate hair better than others making it a great moisturizer for your hair. Coat your hair with half a cup of warm/hot olive oil and leave it on for 30 minutes, rinsing thoroughly. The olive oil will give your hair the moisture it needs to bring it back to a more manageable state.
- Strength and shine: Replacing your regular conditioner with olive oil will help bring moisture to your hair, leaving it healthy-looking and shiny. Olive oil is rich in vitamins A, E and antioxidants, which help protect the keratin in hair and help to seal in moisture. Olive oil can also help remove the buildup of sebum that hinders hair growth, thus making it a great oil to use for increasing hair growth.
- Extra softness: Olive oil can help soften your hair and seal brittle ends. Olive oil is a natural conditioner that helps to prevent dryness, bring back shine and make your hair feel soft. It’s an all-in-one solution for bringing softness and shine to both your scalp and hair.
- Prevents hair loss: Olive oil works to prevent the production of the hormone DTH, which causes the follicle shaft to narrow and initiates hair loss. Using olive oil for hair on a regular basis, either in your shampoo or as a scalp treatment can help to reduce the risk of hair loss.
- Lice: Olive oil has natural anti-bacterial and antifungal properties, making it a safe, effective and natural way to get rid of head lice. Douse your hair in olive oil to suffocate the lice and lubricate the hair to facilitate combing. Once the lice are combed out of the hair, apply more olive oil to the scalp and hair and cover with a shower cap. Sleep with the olive oil treatment on the hair to kill any remaining lice and nits – the lice will suffocate in about 5 hours.
- Improves blood circulation on the scalp: Your hair needs good blood circulation on the scalp in order to ensure healthy hair growth. Olive oil can improve blood flow to the scalp, ensuring that your hair gets the nutrients it needs to stay strong and healthy.
- Scalp health: Olive oil is full of antioxidants that help to reduce damage created by the chemical substances found in many hair care products. The overuse of styling products can damage your scalp, causing flakes and dryness. Olive oil is a natural way to treat the dry skin on your scalp while also working to prevent any more damage from occurring.
- Hair growth: Olive oil can be used as a hair growth treatment due to its ability to remove sebum buildup that can block new hair follicles from forming. Having a clean healthy scalp will promote hair growth.
How to Use Olive Oil for Hair
- Pre-shampoo treatment: Olive oil has been used as a hair treatment since ancient Egyptian times. Use olive oil before your regular shampoo routine to help restore health and shine back to your hair. First, warm the olive oil in the microwave. Then apply it generously to the ends of your hair and your scalp. Leave it on for 10-20 minutes, then follow with your regular shampoo, making sure to rinse thoroughly.
- Hair mask: To truly reap the benefits of olive oil for hair, use it as an ingredient in an at home hair mask. Simply mix the olive oil with a few drops of lemon juice and a well-beaten egg yolk. Lavender oil can be added for a better scent. Apply the mask to your hair and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse out completely and shampoo/condition as normal.
- Dandruff treatment: Because of its anti-fungal properties, olive oil is a great all-natural dandruff treatment. Mix 10 drops of tea tree oil with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Apply the mixture before bed and leave it on overnight, so that it can be absorbed fully by your scalp. Shampoo your hair in the morning and make sure to rinse thoroughly. This treatment should be applied twice a week for best results.
- For hair growth: Olive oil can be used to help stimulate hair growth. Mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. The amount used for each ingredient can be increased depending on the length of your hair. Mix the ingredients together to create a paste and apply to your hair. Once applied, leave the paste on your hair for about 15 minutes, then rinse out thoroughly. Shampoo as you normally would, rinsing well.
- Hot oil treatment: Olive oil is a great moisturizer for your hair and is best used as a hot oil treatment. Mixing olive oil with castor oil only intensifies its moisturizing benefits. The mixture should be equal parts olive oil and castor oil. Use a 1-2 tablespoons of each oil, depending on the length of your hair. Heat the oil mixture until it becomes slightly warm and then apply it to your hair, from roots to ends. Massage the mixture into your scalp for about 10 minutes, then wrap your head with a warm towel. The towel will help to retain the moisture. After 20-30 minutes, rinse hair thoroughly and wash your hair as usual.
- Olive oil shampoo: When used in shampoo, olive oil is moisturizing and perfect for cleansing both the hair and body. To make a simple olive oil shampoo, simply mix together 1 cup of liquid castile soap, ¼ cup olive oil and 1/8 cup honey. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil for a pretty scent.
- Adding olive oil to your shampoo: Adding olive oil to your shampoo will leave your hair silky and smooth. Measure 1 cup of your favorite shampoo and pour into a small bottle – making a small batch will allow you to adjust the proportions of shampoo and olive oil to suit your hair type. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil if you have normal hair, use 1 tablespoon for oily or fine hair. By using a smaller amount for fine hair you are still able to benefit from the conditioning effects of the olive oil without the risk of making your hair oily or weighing it down. For dry hair, add ¼ cup of olive oil to your shampoo. The larger amount of olive oil will also help condition color treated or permed hair. Once olive oil has been added to your shampoo, shake the bottle gently to mix it. Store your mixture in a cool, dark place to help keep the olive oil fresh. Shake the bottle gently before using.
- Quick Tip: Whenever you use olive or any other essential oil it’s a good idea to wash your hair with products that are gentle and contain no harsh ingredients. HAIRFINITY Haircare is a line of products with natural ingredients that will gently cleanse and conditioner your hair while moisturizing, and strengthening your hair as well.
Tips and Tricks for Using Olive Oil for Hair
- Olive oil can also be taken orally to reap its health benefits, including for the prevention of hair loss. Olive oil also helps to improve digestion, makes your teeth and hair stronger and can also help to make your skin clearer.
- When used on its own, olive oil is an excellent way to prevent or slow hair loss. But it can be made even better when added to other ingredients, such as almond oil, rosemary, castor oil or cayenne pepper.
- There are a number of varieties of olive oil available on the market. Extra virgin olive oil is the finest one and will have the most beneficial properties for hair of all those available.
- If you have thin hair, take a less is more approach when using olive oil for hair as too much oil can overly saturate delicate strands.
- Some women prefer applying olive oil treatments to wet and recently conditioned hair, while others prefer to apply the treatments to dry hair. If your hair is wet and conditioned, it will lock in moisture and additional nutrients once the olive oil is applied.
- Once you have an olive oil treatment on your hair, go into the shower and let the steam enhance the effects of the olive oil on your hair.
- Quick Tip: If using olive oil straight from the bottle isn’t for you, there are a number of shampoos, conditioners and styling products that contain olive oil or olive leaf extracts. Just be sure the products you use are made with natural ingredients and don’t contain any parabens or sulfates, which can be damaging to your hair.
One amazing oil dozens of hair care possibilities. Olive oil has been prized for centuries for its health and beauty benefits, but has only recently started to make its appearance on beauty shelves. Olive oil can help your hair becoming shiny, healthy and strong – that’s why it should be an essential part of every woman’s beauty arsenal!
Hairfinity Hair Vitamins, an innovation in hair care, are transforming the hair of women all over the world with a unique blend of vitamins, nutrients, and our exclusive Capilsana™ Complex. Hairfinity customers have reported improved manageability and an overall healthier appearance of their hair. Start YOUR journey with Hairfinity Healthy Hair Vitamins today. SHOP NOW.