Get to the "Root" of Hair Problems
Your hair is as unique as you are. This is why you can’t always get to the “root” of your hair issues with just the naked eye. Evaluating the hair at a microscopic level can help identify the cause of hair problems and help determine the best way to care for your specific head of hair. Hairfinity’s Microscopic Hair Analysis Testing can evaluate the hair’s strength, texture and more. These findings are then used to create a customized plan tailored precisely to your hair’s unique needs.
This test identifies the hair’s shape and pattern, splits in the hair’s ends and shaft, and damage to the hair’s cuticle and cortex. To fully understand what is necessary to take care of your hair, you must first understand its structure. Hair is made up of three layers, which include the cuticle (outer layer), the cortex (middle layer), and the medulla (innermost layer).
- The cuticle is made up overlapping cells that look like roof tiles. It gives the hair its color, shape, strength and elasticity and determines how the hair looks and feels. Chemical processing and styling can cause the cuticle to lift making the hair susceptible to damage.
- The medulla is the innermost portion of the hair shaft. All hair does not have
complete medulla, and finer hair types can have no medulla at all.
- The cortex is made up keratin protein strands that act as rubber bands and give the hair its strength or elasticity. A weakened cortex will allow hair to break if it is stretched.
While all hair may have the same underlying structure, it cannot be treated the same because of the differences in hair shapes and patterns. Your hair shape determines your hair type. If you looked at the cross-sections of the different hair types, you would find that kinky hair is elliptical in shape, wavy hair is oval, and straight hair is round.
- Elliptical (Kinky): As you go down the hair strand of this hair type, you’ll find twists and turns known as kinks. At every kink, the hair is much thinner and susceptible to breakage and damage. Kinky hair also has fewer cuticle layers than any other hair type and the cuticle layers tend to be raised. This makes highly textured hair extremely susceptible to damage.
- Round (Straight): When you look at a cross section of straight hair, it is round, and the hair’s cuticles also lay flat making straight hair stronger, and better at retaining moisture than any other hair type. Asian hair is the only hair that is perfectly round.
- Oval (Wavy): The cross section of wavy hair is oval and the cuticle is flat allowing the hair to reflect light and retain moisture. Wavy hair is much stronger than kinky hair, but not as strong as straight. hair. Caucasian hair is usually oval in shape.
TENSILE STRENGTH TEST
This test determines how much tension your hair can handle before it breaks. Hair is strong. A single strand could hold up to 100 grams (3oz) in weight. Healthy hair, when wet, will stretch up to 55% of its original length and return to its normal shape without breaking, while dry hair will only stretch about 20%. However, certain hair types are stronger and more elastic than others. Kinky hair is the most fragile holding only 60 grams and stretching 40% before breaking. Straight hair on the other hand, can hold up to 100 grams and stretch 55% before breaking.
HAIR DIAMETER TEST
This test determines the hair diameter (thickness/thinness) so you know how to properly care for your hair. Most people describe their hair as either thick or thin. However, the number of hairs you have can affect the thickness as well as the actual diameter (size) of each hair. Fine hair will normally be more prone to breakage. Babies and young children have finer hair than adults. As a person grows up, their hair becomes thicker and stronger. Then in older age hair can become thinner and finer again. Another factor is that, the closer to the root of the hair, the thicker a strand of hair would be.
HOW DOES HAIRFINITY’S MICROSCOPIC HAIR ANALYSIS TESTING WORK?
After ordering the Complete Hair Analysis, expect a kit to arrive with instructions on how to send in your hair sample. Once the sample is received, your hair will be tested, and a report on the condition of your hair will be created along with a customized plan of action to address your hair concerns. Test results and hair care plan are detailed and easy to read, and include hair care tips and product recommendations.
Please note: Customer’s hair must be at least 4 inches long. We will need at least 20 strands to obtain accurate results.
Allow up to 4 weeks for test results and hair care plan to be completed and emailed to the address provided in your order.