5 Homemade Hair Treatments
Are you looking for great at-home hair treatments? We all dream of lush, lustrous hair. Our hair defines us and when it’s dull and lifeless, it can make us feel the same way. Regular shampooing and conditioning is not enough to keep hair in the best shape possible. For superb style it’s also important to include a deep conditioning treatment to ensure your locks are in optimal shape. Remember, when your hair feels great, you’ll feel great too! Between your regular visits to the salon you should be using products that will refresh and revitalize your hair. It is also important to nourish your hair from the inside out by including a vitamin supplement HAIRFINITY. Supplementing your diet will provide your body with vital nutrients to ensure that your homemade hair treatments will have a healthy base to condition. Ever wondered where healthy hair gets its shine? In healthy hair, the outer layer or cuticle lays smooth. All of it’s “scales” are lined up and flat, one on top of the other. The layers are tightly sealed, holding in moisture and creating a smooth surface that reflects light. In dry or damaged hair, the layers of the cuticle peel away and separate, allowing natural oils to escape. These rough cuticles absorb light, which makes your hair look dull.
Smooth cuticles + reflected light = SHINE!The daily conditioner you use is designed to work on the outside of your hair, to coat the strands for protection. To really change the appearance and health of your hair, you need a treatment designed to penetrate the internal structure of your hair. Deep conditioning penetrates the cuticle, replaces lost oil, and smooths the surface, restoring elasticity and shine. Best of all, you can easily create a deep conditioning treatment at home, which can work in as little as five minutes. Here is a simple deep conditioning recipe you can make and use at home:
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed well
- 2 tablespoons pure or organic honey
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or extra-virgin olive oil)
Directions: In a bowl or blender, mash avocado until smooth. Add oil and honey and mix well. Apply to clean, wet hair. Cover hair with a plastic shower cap or Saran wrap and let sit for one hour. Rinse thoroughly. Shampoo and condition as normal.
Olive Oil Hair Treatment There is possibly no single ingredient that has more uses and benefits for your hair than olive oil. If you’re in a hurry, you can use a tiny amount on your finger tips to tame split ends and fly-aways. For a deeper treatment you can use olive oil on its own or mix it with other ingredients for a penetrating conditioner to restore hair to radiance. Olive oil has been an essential ingredient in hair health since ancient times. This wonderful oil is rich in vitamin E and healthy fat. Prevent breakage and strengthen hair strands by using olive oil to hydrate dry or brittle hair. Here are some easy at-home olive oil hair treatments to leave your hair full, sleek, and wonderfully touchable.
On-the-Go Hot Oil Treatment Ingredients:
- ¼ cup olive oil
Directions: Heat oil (do not use a microwave), let it stand until it is warm to touch and pour carefully over head. (Test first to make sure oil is not too hot). Massage gently into scalp and work fingers or wide-toothed comb through hair to ensure strands are completely saturated righto the ends. Shampoo immediately. Shampoo again to remove and residual oil and condition as normal.
Banana, Avocado Mask for Hair Growth A perfect mask to help fortify and strengthen your hair, while moisturizing to help grow out those long locks you’ve always wanted. The egg in this recipe supercharges the benefits of olive oil. Eggs are rich in protein, vitamins and fat—perfect for nursing dry hair back to health. Egg yolks nourish, moisturize, and lubricate dry damaged hair. Banana is rich in potassium, natural oils, carbohydrates and vitamins, which help soften the hair and protect the hair's natural elasticity, preventing split ends and breakage. Ingredients:
- ½ ripe avocado, mashed
- ½ ripe banana, mashed
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions: Puree avocado and banana together until no clumps are present. Add in beaten egg and olive oil. Mix thoroughly. Apply to dry hair and leave in for 15 to 30 minutes. Rinse with cool water. Shampoo and condition as normal.
Homemade Protein Treatment for Healthy Hair One of the best hair treatments for natural hair growth and repair is protein. Your hair needs protein just as much as your body does. In fact, hair is made of about 91% protein. Protein treatments are used to add strength and resiliency to damaged hair. Protein reinforces the hair shaft and makes it strong. It binds to the hair cuticle to rebuild the weakened areas. It’s important to get the right amount of protein in your diet, as this is the key to natural hair growth. According to the US Department of Agriculture, an adult woman should consume at least five ounces of protein per day—more if you exercise for at least 30 minutes per day on a regular basis. Good sources of healthy protein are lean meats, beans, fish, nuts, eggs, and soy products. But you can also infuse protein directly into your hair with a protein treatment. There are four main types of protein treatments:
- Protein packs – these are good for routine maintenance to restore and balance (every 4-6 weeks).
- Light protein treatments - sometimes packaged as leave-ins, this treatment is ideal for regular maintenance (every wash or less if you feel your hair is too stiff when styling).
- Deep penetrating treatments – these are intense hydrators. Good for use on moderately damaged hair (good for use every other week/wash-day).
- Reconstructors - these are often used to repair damage from heat styling or drying effects of color processing (depending on your hair type and needs, every week to repair extensive damage or every other week).
Selecting the protein treatment that is right for you is important. HAIRFINITY Balanced Moisture Conditioner is a reconstructive formula that rebuilds the hair’s framework by infusing reparative amino acids deep into the hair shaft, leaving strands looking and feeling stronger, smoother and healthier. If you’re looking for the best ingredients for a DIY protein treatment include eggs, mayonnaise, yogurt, coconut butter/cream, and avocado. Here’s a homemade yogurt protein treatment for hair that will leave yours supple and smooth:
Greek Yogurt Protein Treatment Ingredients:
- ¼- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (regular yogurt will also work but Greek yogurt has more protein)
Directions: Use the amount of yogurt needed for your hair’s thickness and length. Apply to clean, dry hair. Massage gently into scalp and work down to coat right to the ends. Leave on for 20 – 60 minutes. Rinse thoroughly. Shampoo and condition as normal.
Easy Homemade Hair Treatments
From rinses to masks, you can brighten and condition your hair with many of the ingredients you already have in your fridge or cupboard. Here are two of our favorite recipes for DIY hair treatments.
Banana and Honey Mask for Fine or Thin Hair For hair care on a budget you can’t beat this mask with two powerhouse and inexpensive ingredients: bananas and honey. Bananas nourish the scalp and hair follicles, help maintain natural hair elasticity, and prevent breakage and split ends. A touch of honey, a natural humectant, will add moisture and shine to even the dullest head of hair. Ingredients:
- 1-2 bananas depending on size
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) of honey
Directions: Mash the banana(s) in a bowl until smooth, and then add the honey to your mashed bananas. Apply the mixture to clean dry or slightly damp hair. Cover with a shower cap, towel or saran wrap and wait 20-30 minutes. Rinse out hair mask. Shampoo and condition as normal.
Egg white and Lemon Hair Mask for Oily Hair Limp, stringy, greasy, no matter how you describe it, oily hair is hard to control and can be a styling nightmare. Egg whites control sebum secretion in the scalp by tightening the hair follicles. This will reduce the amount of sebum secreted through the hair follicles and remove excess oils from your scalp and hair. What’s more, egg whites are filled with bacteria hindering enzymes to keep your scalp clean and healthy. Lemons are the egg’s natural companion when it comes to oily hair. Excess oil can cause your hair to feel heavy, but the astringent and toning effect of lemon balances your scalp’s natural oil production and removes any excess oil. Lemon juice also works to restore your scalp’s pH balance, and adds body and sheen to your hair. For lighter hair, free from dirt, toxins and unwanted oil you should use an egg white and lemon juice mask once a week.
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
Directions: Beat one egg white until it forms stiff peaks (this will make your mask easier to apply), then add salt and lemon. Mix everything well, apply mixture to scalp, and wait 30 minutes. Rinse out hair mask. Shampoo and condition as normal. For best results with each of these DIY conditioning treatments you should consider using other natural styling agents. The complete HAIRFINITY Haircare is an aloe vera based and gentle with no sulfates or other harsh ingredients that will help you maintain and extend the effects of your DIY treatment.
Bonus TipsThe beauty of homemade hair treatments with all natural ingredients is that it’s fun and safe to experiment and you can create a recipe that is exactly right for your particular hair type. Here are a few tips that can help you get started and make the experimenting a lot more fun.
- The first time you try a mask make sure you have nothing important planned afterward. As much as you try to avoid them, mistakes will happen. You don’t want to show up at your best friend’s wedding with greasy hair because you accidentally used too much oil in your DIY mask! Plan your first DIY when you have no plans and are not obliged to attend an event.
- Prepare for mess. It’s best to apply most of these treatments in the shower. That way, if you spill some you won’t damage your carpet, furniture or clothes. If you can’t use a shower, plan to apply your mask in an area you can clean up easily.
- More does not always equal better. Too much oil can cause you a world of grief when it’s time to wash it out. And clarifying ingredients such as vinegar or lemon can strip and dry your hair if used too frequently or left on too long. Always start small. It’s easier to add more later if your first try doesn’t work out.
- Choose the treatment that’s right for your hair type. Thick, curly hair has different needs than fine, thin hair. Just because a treatment promises deep conditioning, doesn’t mean it’s the best choice for your texture or hair type, if you’re not sure about your hair type talk to your stylist, they will be qualified to explain what your hair needs. And if you have combination hair (Oily on the top, dry on the bottom), make sure you choose a hair treatment especially formulated for combination hair.
- If at first you don’t succeed… D-I-Y There is no exact science and what worked for your best friend may not work for you. Hair care comes with no guarantees and you will likely have to try a few different recipes before you find “the one”. Don’t despair, this is to be expected. Have fun along the way and make your hair treatment days into spa days, so no matter what the result you will walk away relaxed and rejuvenated.
We are sure you will find a DIY hair treatment that you will love! Whether you choose a treatment that is protein based, an olive oil hair treatment, a deep conditioning treatment, or any of the homemade hair treatments we’ve suggested, your locks will thank you when they are once again brilliant and full of life. For more information about natural hair treatment and other hair care solutions visit hairfinity.com
HAIRFINITY Hair Vitamins, an innovation in hair care, is transforming the hair of women all over the world with a unique blend of vitamins, nutrients, and our exclusive Capilsana™ Complex. Hairfinity customers have reported improved manageability and an overall healthier appearance of their hair. Start YOUR journey with Hairfinity Healthy Hair Vitamins today. SHOP NOW.