In understanding the structure of hair, you can better grasp how it grows. Hair is made up of several parts:
- The cuticle is the outer layer, which protects the hair shaft. It is coated with sebum, which gives the hair its shine. The cuticle is made of scale-like cells that resemble the shingles on a roof.
- The cortex gives hair its strength, elasticity, and texture.
- The hair follicle is the part of the skin that grows the hair.
- Sebaceous glands produce the sebum that coats the cuticle.
- Melanin is the pigment in the cortex, which gives hair its color.
How Hair Grows:
Most people have about 100,000 hairs on their head. Normal growth is about one quarter to one half inch per month which, for some, can actually be considered a pretty fast rate. Every hair on your head will go through three (3) phases: anagen, catagen, and telogen.
- Anagen – The growing phase can last from 3 to 7 years.
- Catagen – The resting phase lasts approximately 2 to 4 weeks.
- Telogen – The shedding phase can last from 3 to 4 months. This shedding is the natural process that replaces old hairs with new hairs. It is normal to lose about 50 to 80 hairs per day.
If you have ever wondered why your hair will grow to a certain length then stop growing, it is due to your hair’s growing phase. Your specific growing phase is a pre-determined length of time that is set in our DNA from birth, so there isn’t much we can do to change it. Someone with a very long growing phase will grow longer hair than another person with a shorter growing phase.
Supplements such as Hairfinity Hair Vitamins can be used to promote healthy hair, but taking them will not repair damaged hair or prevent further damage from occurring. You must take proper care of your hair by using the right hair care products. HAIRFINITY vitamins are formulated with essential nutrients for healthy hair. Our vitamins nourish your hair from the INSIDE OUT.
Sometimes hair may seem not to grow at all. Many times this may be due to hair loss, breakage, or a deficiency. Need help building the perfect hair care regimen for your hair? Get a FREE Custom Hair Plan designed for your specific hair needs.
Want pinpoint the exact cause of your specific hair problems? Get a Microscopic Hair Analysis and let us analyze your hair in our lab to determine its true condition and provide your with a customized plan to give your hair exactly what it needs.