In understanding the structure of hair, you can better grasp how it grows. Hair is made up of several parts:
- The cuticle is the outer layer, which protects the hair shaft. It is coated with sebum, which gives the hair its shine. The cuticle is made of scale-like cells that resemble the shingles on a roof.
- The cortex gives hair its strength, elasticity, and texture.
- The hair follicle is the part of the skin that grows the hair.
- Sebaceous glands produce the sebum that coats the cuticle.
- Melanin is the pigment in the cortex, which gives hair its color.
How Hair Grows:
Most people have about 100,000 hairs on their head. Normal growth is about one quarter to one half inch per month which, for some, can actually be considered a pretty fast rate. Every hair on your head will go through three (3) phases: anagen, catagen, and telogen.
- Anagen – The growing phase can last from 3 to 7 years.
- Catagen – The resting phase lasts approximately 2 to 4 weeks.
- Telogen – The shedding phase can last from 3 to 4 months. This shedding is the natural process that replaces old hairs with new hairs. It is normal to lose about 50 to 80 hairs per day.
If you have ever wondered why your hair will grow to a certain length then stop growing, it is due to your hair’s growing phase. Your specific growing phase is a pre-determined length of time that is set in our DNA from birth, so there isn’t much we can do to change it. Someone with a very long growing phase will grow longer hair than another person with a shorter growing phase.
Food supplements for hair can be used to promote beautiful hair, but taking them will not repair damaged hair or prevent further damage from occurring. You must take proper care of your hair by using the right hair care products and treatments. HAIRFINITY Hair Vitamins are formulated with essential nutrients for healthy hair. Our supplements nourish your hair from the INSIDE OUT.
Sometimes hair may seem not to grow at all. Many times this may be due to hair loss, breakage, or a deficiency. These types of hair issues may need to be addressed more thoroughly by a professional.